Sunday, September 22, 2013

12 page comic "FACE"

In the week with Poul Karasik we had a big challenge in making a small 12 page comic book (a5 size).
This comic should be about a personal memory - something that might have changed us.
Though the story should be structured out from the reality - we could twist it in what ever direction. We could change time or details that may not was in the true memory - but somehow would fit the "message" or make the storytelling more clear.
I experienced that working out from a personal memory was difficult. You had to deal with emotions and things and somehow start to analyze it so that it actually fits a readable comic book.

We started out making thumbnails (small drawings of whole page).
Writing a manuscript
Making a structure within the text and the panels; size, flow/tempo, ect.
Full size sketch - giving overview.
Making a final pencil version
Ink it (by hand on light board)
Correct in photoshop.

I must admit that my process of making this comic included a lot of troubles. I started with a complete different story, but then started this one two days before the actual hand in.
The main idea about this comic may not work optimally, but trough the end of the story I some how started to figure out some more things about the use of panels. The intention of using different styles also might me confusing - but at least it was the experience worth it.
So here it is.
Don't take it too seriously.

My first 12 page comic.

This is an assignment from Graphic Storytelling 2013 taught by Paul Karasik at The Animation Workshop/VIA UC












 

















1 comment:

  1. I love it! I also really dig the different styles...think the second one is my favourite :) Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete